This photo is one of over 840 glass plate negatives in our museum collection.
Taken between 1892 - 1920 by Marion G. Warner who owned the general store at Main & Elm St (our 1910 building), these priceless artifacts of historic Monroe were found by Mr. James Price in an outdoor shed when the building next door (where our main museum is today) was being prepared for demolition.
Now digitized for preservation, we can’t thank Jim enough for saving this treasured collection!
The photo from April 26, 1908 shows the Excello canal and lock passing over Dick’s Creek off what is now the old Hamilton-Middletown Road looking north towards Oxford State Road (Rt 73). The now empty Harding-Jones Paper Co. would have been in full operation and this photo is likely taken from A.E. Hardings home on the hill. This was the first lock built on the Miami-Erie canal, which had largely ceased operating by 1906 and later was filled in to become Middletown’s Verity Parkway. This photo shows probably the last canal boat ever in use.